When do I need a zoning certificate?

A zoning certificate is required for new uses, expansions of existing uses, conditional uses, or changes of use pursuant to Wyoming Statute § 18-5-203. Uses which require a zoning certificate are:

  • Principal Structures: the main or principal use of the property. These buildings may be agricultural, residential, commercial, or industrial buildings.
    • Examples include homes, cabins, commercial structures, etc., including structures moved onto the property, such as modular homes, mobile homes and relocated stick-built homes.
  • Accessory Buildings: a building that is incidental, detached, and subordinate to the principal structure. This includes any structure with a roof, attached or detached, as well as any temporary or portable structure, and:
    • Barns
    • Garages
    • Sheds
    • Shops
  • Additions to Principal Structures or Accessory Buildings:
    • Enclosed porches
    • Additional living space
    • Covered decks
    • Garage additions

Show All Answers

1. Should I contact anyone before beginning a project?
2. What is a zoning certificate?
3. When do I need a zoning certificate?
4. Where can I find a Zoning Certificate Application?
5. When does the zoning certificate expire?
6. What is required for a zoning certificate?
7. What can be used for proof of ownership?
8. Where can I get a copy of my deed?
9. What is required for the site plan?
10. When will my zoning certificate be approved?
11. When will I receive the approved zoning certificate?
12. Can I build my shop (accessory building) first?
13. What if I build without a permit?
14. Why do you need the estimated cost of my new structure?
15. Do I have to get a wastewater (septic) permit before a zoning certificate?
16. When can I begin construction?